Chocolate chip date nut bread is a flavorful melody of chocolate chips, dates and nuts and it’s so easy to make.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
My dad is the inspiration behind this delicious and easy quick bread recipe. I would have never have thought of making date bread until he mentioned that his mother used to make date bread for him growing up. I could tell this was such a fond memory for my 85 year old dad.
I had always heard of date bread, but it seemed icky. Even as a middle aged adult I wanted no part of it. I felt about it like Randy in A Christmas Story felt about meatloaf.
However, the thought of my dad’s special memory of date nut bread lead me into the kitchen to make him a loaf.
Oh, and was I glad I did. It was not icky at all; in fact, it was tasty. I loved the way the dates sweetened the bread and the crunch of the nuts.
Since then I’ve made date bread several times. For this recipe, I’ve combined 2 or 3 recipes and added some chocolate chips and cinnamon.
I hope you enjoy this as much as we do.
What to put on retro date nut bread
- Nothing – it’s delicious by itself
- Cream Cheese
How to freeze chocolate chip date cake
As with most quick breads, this freezes very well, so you can make it ahead of time or freeze the leftovers.
Other basic quick bread you might enjoy
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Applesauce Muffins
- Easy Cranberry Apple Walnut Bread
- Eggnog Bread
- Mini Cheese Muffins Recipe
- Boozy Brown Sugar Banana Bread
Chocolate Chip Date Nut Bread
- 9.75 x 6 x 2.75 inch loaf pan
- or 8 ½ x 4 ½ loaf pan
- 1.5 – 2 cups Dates Pitted. I always cut each date in half or thirds.
- 4 T Melted Butter
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- ¾ tsp. Salt
- ¾ cups Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Brewed Hot Coffee
- 1 Large Egg
- ½ tsp. Baking Powder
- 2 – 3 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 ¾ cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 – 1½ cups Walnuts
- ¾ cup or more of Chocolate Chips I used 60% cacao chips
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease 8 ½ x 4 ½ loaf pan. I used a slightly bigger loaf pan and it turned out great.
- Place dates, butter, baking soda, salt and brown sugar in mixing bowl and pour hot coffee into the bowl. Stir mixture to combine.
- Cool mixture for 15 minutes
- Add egg, vanilla, cinnamon, baking powder and flour to date mixture, beating until smooth.
- Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter in loaf pan.
- Bake bread for 45 to 55 minutes
- Tent the loaf gently with foil after 30 minutes. This prevents over browning.
- Remove bread from over. Insert toothpick or knife in center. It should come out clean. If not reinsert in oven until knife or toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
Nordic Ware Loaf Pan
Nordic Ware Cooling Grid
Long Baking Spatula