I found this Decadent Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Pound Cake recipe in my mom’s 1971 Southern Living Homemaker’s Cookbook: CAKES. For those of us who grew up in the South in the 70’s and 80’s, we know the pages of Southern Living and their recipes are sacred.
If you’re a chocolate lover this decadent chocolate, chocolate chip pound cake is wooing you. It is sin in a 10 cup Nordic bundt pan and do you really want to try to resist all this SINsational chocolate?
This chocolate, chocolate chip cake is a succulent, sweet delight and full of rich chocolate flavor. One bite and you can’t deny yourself two or three….. You will find the cake putting itself in your mouth.
As well as being delicious and decadent, you will find this homemade cake so easy to make. It requires simple ingredients, most of which, you probably have on hand.
This is the perfect cake for the Holiday season. Make it in a bundt pan and create an elegant masterpiece, that’s perfect for a Thanksgiving Day or Christmas Day dessert table centerpiece. Also, an excellent dessert to serve at any Holiday party. Guests will be grabbing seconds and then Ziploc’s to tote some home.
You will love this cake without any dressing, But, go ahead and put an extra layer of chocolate sin on by adding a glaze or ganache. You just can’t go wrong.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.,
Decadent Chocolate, Chocolate Chip, Pound Cake
- Stand or Hand Mixer
- Medium to Large Bundt or Tube Pan
Ingredients for Chocolate, Chocolate Chip, Pound Cake
- 4 ounces SWEET baking chocolate or 2/3 cup of chocolate chips semi sweet or dark
- 2¾ cups All-purpose flour Sifted
- 1¼ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Butter
- 1¾ cups Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup Milk
- 1½ cups Chocolate Chips
Ingredients for Ganache
- ⅔ cup Chocolate Chips Dark or semi sweet
- ¼ cup Heavy whipping cream
Instructions for Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Grease pan well
- Melt chocolate and let cool – Instructions on melting chocolate in notes below
- Measure sifted flour
- Add baking powder and salt to flour
- Cream butter until softened
- Mix in sugar until very light and fluffy. Takes about 10 minutes
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition
- Stir in cooled chocolate and vanilla
- Alternately add flour and milk, beating well with each addition until batter is smooth
- Fold in chocolate chips. (See note below on how to get chips to not fall to bottom)
- Pour into greased tube or bundt pan
- Bake at 325° for 1 hour to 1.5 hours depending on oven.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes
Instructions for Ganache
- Melt chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream in the microwave in 30 second increments until the chocolate is melted
- Immediately pour over the top of the cake until the ganache coats the top and runs down the sides
USEFUL TOOLS IN MAKING THIS RECIPE
Nordic Ware Bundt Pan
Kitchen Aid Classic Stand Mixer
Nordic Ware Tube Pan
Cake Cooling and Serving Grid
Long Baking Spatula