Chocolate Strawberry Pound Cake is a deep, rich chocolate pound cake infused with strawberries. It’s an easy and simple, homemade, no hassle recipe, that’s perfect for any time of year, but especially summer. And since there are strawberries mixed in the cake and icing, we’ll say it’s healthy.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.,
What is Chocolate Strawberry pound cake?
Chocolate strawberry pound cake is not a chocolate strawberry bundt cake. Even though I baked this in a bundt (Baby’s got bundt. Sorry, couldn’t resist.), it is not a bundt cake. It is not a strawberry cake with chocolate ganache, nor is it a delish strawberry pound cake.
Chocolate strawberry pound cake is a divine, thick, chocolaty pound cake with pieces of strawberries settled wonderfully throughout the cake. The two flavors blend together magically and create a uniquely delicious dessert experience that will not soon be forgotten.
Chocolate pound cake
Yes, it starts with chocolate pound cake and goes from there.
I started with my cream cheese pound cake recipe, added 1/2 cup of cocoa and between 1 1/2 and 2 cups of strawberries. So easy peasy. I then added a yummy strawberry frosting from Pook’s Pantry. That’s optional, because the cake is just as amazing naked.
What ingredients do I need?
This simple recipe requires 8 ingredients. The key ingredients are:
- Butter – please make sure it’s real butter and at room temperature.
- Cream Cheese – I used full fat cream cheese and room temperature is best.
- Granulated Sugar
- Eggs – Please use room temperature eggs and make sure you beat well after adding each one.
- Flour – All purpose flour is just fine.
- Cocoa – I used 1/4 cup dark cocoa and 1/4 cup regular cocoa.
- Strawberries – Cut in small, not tiny, pieces. This is a dense, moist cake without strawberries. Strawberries give it even more moisture.
Nordic Ware Bundt Pan
Nordic Tube/Angel Food Pan
Can I use frozen Strawberries?
Yes!!! This is great if you want to make this cake out of season or if you don’t want to break into your 401K to buy highly priced fresh strawberries.
Thaw the strawberries first and slice them into small, not tiny, pieces (picture above). Make sure you pat them dry, as these are more moist than unfrozen ones.
How do you add Strawberries to cakes?
Have you baked cakes with fruit and the fruit falls to the bottom? It turns into a fruit upside down cake, without it being an upside down cake. Here’s how to prevent that.
Measure 2 or 3 Tablespoons of flour into a bowl or plastic container that can be sealed. Use cocoa for chocolate cakes and flour for all other cakes.
You can roll the fruit pieces in the flour or cocoa, so they are lightly coated on all sides. I put the flour/cocoa and strawberries in a sealed plastic container and shook it until strawberries were lightly coated.
Fold the strawberries into the cake batter gently. Evenly distributing the fruit throughout the batter; do not overmix.
Can I freeze Chocolate Strawberry pound cake?
Yes, and texture wise it freezes just fine. However, I’ve frozen this cake twice and it does not taste as good after serving freezer time. I am including freezing instructions below, but please pay attention to my warning.
To freeze the cake or a portion of the cake:
- Cool the cake completely
- Wrap the cake 2 or 3 times in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. I usually use just aluminum foil.
- Put in large freezer storage bag. I skip this sometimes and just freeze in foil.
To freeze in slices:
- You can wrap your slices individually in plastic wrap and aluminum foil or only aluminum foil. Then place them in a freezer storage bag or container.
- You can also slice the cake and put slices of parchment paper between the slices. Then wrap the sliced cake just like wrapping the whole cake or portion of the cake above.
Toppings for Chocolate Strawberry pound cake
Really, this cake stands alone and needs no toppings. But, if we must go there, and we must, here are some suggestions.
- More Strawberries
- Ice cream. Vanilla is the go to, but maybe a chocolate. Just throwing it out there.
- Whipped Cream. Lots and lots.
- Nutella – I know, straight from the depths of hell, but great combined with strawberry
- Chocolate or hot fudge sauce. Just add to the sinfulness of the cake.
If you like this you might also like:
- 3 Simple Chocolate Pound Cake Recipes
- Chocolate Syrup Pound Cake
- Cold Oven Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- Strawberry Almond Pound Cake
Chocolate Strawberry Pound Cake
- Stand or Hand Mixer I recommend a stand mixer
- Bundt, Tube or 2 Loaf Pans
- Long Spatula
Ingredients For Chocolate Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- 1½ cups Butter Room Temperature
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese Room Temperature
- 3 cups Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 6 Eggs Room Temperature
- 2½ cups Flour I always sift
- ½ cup Cocoa
- 1½ – 2 cups Strawberries Cut in small pieces
Ingredients For Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 cup Strawberries Chopped
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 4 Tbsp Butter Room Temperature
- 4 oz Cream Cheese Room Temperature
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar I sifted
- ¼ tsp Salt Kosher
- ¼ cup Milk Optional
Instructions for Chocolate Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- I start this cake in a cold over, so I DO NOT PREHEAT THE OVEN. You can if you like. Preheat to 325°.
- Grease and flour pan well.
- Cream butter and cream cheese well in mixer.
- Add sugar a cup at a time and mix well.
- Add vanilla
- Combine cocoa and flour
- Add eggs alternately with flour/cocoa mixture. I add two eggs, make sure they are well incorporated and add a cup of the flour/cocoa mixture and repeat.
- Fold in strawberries. See note above on baking a cake with strawberries.
- Pour batter in greased pan.
- Bake at 325° for 1¼ to 1½ hours.
- Remove from oven. Insert a sharp knife in center to see if done. If it comes out clean or with some crumbs it's done. If it comes out with batter, continue baking.
- Let it cool for 15 minutes.
Instructions For Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing
- Combine strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a food processor or blender.
- Strain puree through a fine mesh strainer to remove seeds.. Using a rubber spatula, press the strawberry puree through by working the spatula back and forth in a sweeping motion.
- Cook puree at a medium high heat for 10 minutes to reduce down.
- Set aside and cool at room temperature
- Cream butter and cream cheese well in small to medium bowl.
- Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup to 1 cup at a time. Mix well after each addition.
- Add strawberry puree. The original recipe says to add 2 – 3 Tablespoons. I added all of it, which was a little over 1/4 cup.
- The original recipe does not call for milk. I wanted mine to be more glaze like and pour well, so I added about ¼ cup milk. You can even add a little more. This is completely optional.
USEFUL TOOLS For MAKING THIS RECIPE
Pouring Shield for Kitchen Aid Mixer
Cake Cooling and Serving Grid
Long Baking Spatula