These festive and easy chocolate peppermint cupcakes are taken from the 1995 Finest Recipes Cookbook from First Baptist Huntsville, AL.
melt in your mouth holiday cupcakes recipe
I must confess this recipe is my Chocolate Peppermint Cake in cupcakes. It didn’t take splitting the atom to figure out this decadent chocolate peppermint cake would make decadent chocolate peppermint cupcakes. The mint cupcake doesn’t fall far from the mint cake.
Just like the chocolate peppermint cake, these festive cupcakes are rich in chocolate taste and also bursting with peppermint flavor.
The topping of classic chocolate frosting combined with York Peppermint Patties makes these melt in your mouth cupcakes. Yes, a sugar lover’s fix for the Holiday’s.
These simple homemade holiday treats are easy to make and can be served for almost any Christmas or Holiday occasion (maybe not a diabetic support group party). They will be the first to go at any Christmas party and loved, especially by kids.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Classic chocolate cupcake recipe ingredients
- All purpose flour
- Cocoa Dark or regular
- Ground cinnamon
- cup Butter
- cup Water
- Baking soda
- Large egg
- 12 York Peppermint Patties
Classic chocolate frosting recipe ingredients
- Powdered sugar sifted
- Vanilla extract
how full do you fill cupcake liners?
Standard cupcakes are 2 1/2 inches. For this standard size, fill cupcake liners about ⅔ to ¾ of the way full. To much batter will cause the cupcakes to overflow, leaving a mess to clean up.
how to freeze cupcakes with frosting
After icing has hardened, (This icing hardens well on it’s own, so you don’t need to put it in the fridge or freezer to harden.) wrap each cupcake individually in aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Then place the cupcakes in an airtight freezer container or large freezer bag and insert in freezer.
Easy Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes
- 12 cavity cupcake pan
Ingredients for Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup All purpose flour sifted
- 1 cup Sugar
- ⅛ cup Cocoa Dark or regular
- ½ tsp Ground cinnamon
- ½ cup Butter
- ½ cup Water
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- 1 Large egg
- ¼ cup Buttermilk
- ½ tsp Vanilla
- 12 York Peppermint Patties
Ingredients for Chocolate Frosting
- ¼ cup Butter
- Almost 3 Tbsp Milk
- 8 oz Powdered sugar sifted
- ⅛ cup Cocoa
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
Instructions for Chocolate Cake
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa and cinnamon and set aside
- Combine butter and water in medium to large saucepan and bring to a boil
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda
- Add flour mixture, stirring well
- Stir in eggs, buttermilk and vanilla extract
- Bake for 17 – 20 minutes
- Remove from oven, but don't turn oven off
- Put 1 York Peppermint Patty on each cupcake
- Bake and additional 2 minutes
- Remove from oven and immediately spread melted patty over each cupcake
- Spread chocolate frosting over each cupcake while still in pan.
- Wait until frosting cools and hardens before removing from pan. This does not take long.
Instructions for Chocolate Frosting
- Combine butter and milk in saucepan and bring to a boil
- Remove from heat
- Combine sifted powdered sugar and cocoa and add to butter mixture
- Add vanilla extract and stir until smooth
- You might want to let it cool and thicken 5 minutes before spreading on cupcake. Need to put on cupcake while warm though.
USEFUL TOOLS IN MAKING THIS RECIPE
12 Cavity Cupcake Pan
Kitchen Aid Classic Stand Mixer
Pouring Shield for Kitchen Aid Mixer
Hershey’s Cocoa Powder
Long Baking Spatula