simply deLIZious baking is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a way for websites to earn advertising revenues by advertising and linking to [Amazon.com or .ca, .co.uk, etc.]
This simple lemon pie recipe from scratch is a refreshing, tangy lemon custard pie topped with a thin layer of luscious lemon cake and can be made in a snap.
I found this recipe in an older church cookbook. The title “Lemon Cake Pie” caught my attention. I mean cake and pie in one dessert, who knew? Plus the recipe looked so quick and easy.
Not long after discovering it, I gave this unique lemon pie recipe a bake and, friends, it did not bake my heart. Just the opposite, it was love at first bite. The zesty lemon filling topped with a thin layer of luscious lemon cake was such a divinely yummy experience that I just had to share.
A Unique, Old Fashioned Lemon Pie
Because this original lemon cake pie has a layer of vibrant lemon custard pie filling topped with a thin lemony lemon cake layer, it allows you to have your cake and eat your pie to.
The flakey crust, the layer of lemon custard pie and the thin layer of lemon cake make a beautiful, lemony harmony. It really is a lemon lover’s dream, that just erupts with tangy, zesty lemon flavor.
Easy As Pie Lemon Pie
You can whip this easy lemon cake pie up in a snap. The most time consuming part is grating and juicing your lemon. After that it’s downhill.
Simply mix all your ingredients and fold in your egg whites, pour the batter in your pie shell, bake, cool and pie out on this delicious lemon pie.
Tools Used In Easy Lemon Pie Recipe
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- hand mixer
- Dry Ingredient Measuring Cups
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Measuring spoons
- Kitchen Timer
- Pie Crust Protector
- Cooling Rack
Ingredients In Lemon Cake Pie Recipe
- white sugar
- egg yolks
- lemon – juice and grated rind from 1 lemon
- all purpose flour
- butter – melted
- whole milk – room temperature
- egg whites – beaten until peaks form
- unbaked pie crust – store bought or from scratch
Let’s Make Lemon Cake Pie From Scratch
- Combine your sugar and egg yolks. I used an electric mixer for this and did the rest by hand.
- Mix in lemon juice and rind.
- Add in melted butter, flour and milk and mix.
- Fold in beaten egg whites. These need to be beaten until peaks form.
- Pour filling into a 9 inch unbaked pie crust – You can use your own homemade dough or it’s no shame to use a store bought unbaked crust. That’s what I did.
- Bake in a 375F oven for 40 to 55 minutes.
- Remove and let cool for at least 30 minutes.
Tips For Baking The Best Lemon Cake Pie
- Try to use whole milk, as the best filling will come from thick, rich milk.
- Bake your pie on the bottom rack.
- Cook time for this pie is between 40 and 55 minutes (depends on your oven). However, start checking at 35 minutes to be safe.
- Pie is done when it’s slightly jiggly in the middle. If it’s jiggly all over, it is not done.
- The pie filling will get brown on top and that is perfect. If you think it’s getting to brown, you can cover with a layer of foil for the last 10 minutes of baking.
- If you’re outer crust starts to brown before pie is done, cover the outer crust with aluminum foil or a pie crust protector.
- If possible, let the pie cool completely before it’s cut. It will cut much easier when cooled completely.
Why Try Lemon Cake Pie
It’s a deliciously simple, unique lemon pie that is a snap to make. Having both a layer of vibrant lemon custard pie and a thin layer of luscious lemon cake on top, it is literally a lemon cake pie.
In case you have any queries regarding the recipe feel free to reach out via the comment section or the contact page. Also, if you have tried this recipe, I would love to hear about your experiences.
I have linked to our related recipes below and I’m sure you will love them.
More Simple Lemon Dessert Recipes
- Lemon Curd Bars With Shortbread Crust
- Mama’s Lemon Syrup Pound Cake
- Lemon Cream Cheese Loaf Cake
- Old Fashioned Lemon Pound Cake With Frosting
Easy Lemon Cake Pie Recipe
Easy Lemon Cake Pie Recipe
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 lemon, juice and grated rind
- 3 Tbs flour
- 3 Tbs butter melted
- 1 cup whole milk room temperature
- 2 egg whites beaten
- 1 unbaked pie crust store bought or from scratch
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Combine sugar and egg yolks (I did this with a hand held mixer and the rest by hand.)1 cup white sugar, 2 egg yolks
- Add the lemon juice and rind and mix.1 lemon, juice and grated rind
- Add the melted butter, flour and milk and mix.3 Tbs flour, 3 Tbs butter, 1 cup whole milk
- Fold in beaten egg whites. Egg whites should be beaten until peaks form.2 egg whites beaten
- Pour in unbaked pie crust and bake at 375° for 40 to 55 minutes. Knife should come out clean. When done it will be slightly jiggly in the middle, but not all over.1 unbaked pie crust
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes.