simply deLIZious baking is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a way for websites to earn advertising revenues by advertising and linking to [Amazon.com or .ca, .co.uk, etc.]
Made with canned pumpkin, evaporated milk and warm, rich fall spices, this is an easy, delicious homemade pumpkin pie from scratch.
I had just finished making my pumpkin pecan pie and had an extra frozen pie crust (I’m ashamed to say I didn’t make my own crust. That’s simplydeLIZious cheating.) I wanted to use right away. Since we’re in the middle of fall and the leaves are at their peak here in Georgia, I knew I had to make delicious, creamy pumpkin pie from my Georgia Blue Ribbon Cookbook.
SIMPLE AS MARIE CALLENDER’S PUMPKIN PIE
We all know how easy it is to throw a Marie Callender’s or Edward’s pie in the oven. Open the box, cook it and devour. So simple and, as much as this from scratch baker hates to say it, delicious.
But friends I have found a from scratch pumpkin pie that is almost as easy as these frozen ones and tastes even better.
Yes, this Easy Southern Pumpkin Pie Recipe is oh so simple and fast to whip up. Seriously, you whisk together your ingredients, pour it in a pie shell, bake and devour.
Oh and the taste is phenomenal. The pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger and cloves make a scrumptious melody of rich fall spices that will make your taste buds smile.
So this fall and Holiday season leave Marie and Edward in the freezer and try this Easy Southern Pumpkin Pie. You will never let them out of the freezer again.
EASY TRADITIONAL PUMPKIN PIE KEY INGREDIENTS
- Spices – Ground Cinnamon, Ground Ginger and Ground Cloves – All of these blend together to make that perfect pumpkin spice flavor.
- Large Eggs – Use room temperature eggs. Lightly beat the eggs together first to make sure they blend together well with the other ingredients.
- 15oz can Pumpkin – Use pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling.
- Evaporated Milk – Make sure you’re using evaporated milk and not condensed milk.
- 1 Unbaked Pie Crust – Frozen or from scratch. The Dough Boy made mine.
TOOLS USED IN BAKING SIMPLE PUMPKIN PIE
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Dry Measuring Cups
HOW TO TELL IF PUMPKIN PIE IS DONE
As this pie was cooking I was having a hard time telling if it was done, so I did what any baker does now, I Googled “how to tell if pumpkin pie is done”. Google pulled up this gem of an article from Better Homes And Gardens on tips to tell if your pumpkin pie is done.
According to this article there are three test for determining when a pumpkin pie is done.
- The Knife Test – The best way to tell if your pumpkin pie is done. Simply insert a knife near the center of the pie. If it comes out clean, it’s done. The only negative here is that it leaves a crack where the knife was inserted.
- The Instant-Read Thermometer Test – There’s a pumpkin pie temperature that will let you know if your pumpkin pie is done. Who knew???? You can insert An Instant Read Thermometer into the filling to tell if your pie is done. According to the FDA the internal temperature of a pumpkin pie is at least 180 degrees at its coolest point.
- The Jiggle Test – This test allows you to test for doneness without putting a crack or hole in the filling. To do this gently shake the pie. If the pie is done it will jiggle slightly in the center. Your pie should not be liquidy at all.
Final Thoughts On This Southern Pumpkin Pie
This pie is so easy to make and has amazing flavor with it’s rich fall spices. It will be a hit at any fall gathering or Thanksgiving Day meal. So, this year leave Marie Callender and Edward in the freezer and bake this simple, from scratch, homemade pumpkin pie.
In case you have any queries regarding the recipe feel free to reach out via the comment section or the contact page. Also, if you have tried this recipe, I would love to hear about your experiences.
I have linked to our related recipes below and I’m sure you will love them.
More Fall Pie Recipes
- Pumpkin Pecan Pie
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- Easy Pecan Pie Bars (With Chocolate Chips)
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Toll House Pie
- SINsational Caramel Pie
Easy Southern Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Easy Southern Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ground Ginger
- ¼ tsp Ground Cloves
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 15oz can Pumpkin
- 1 can Evaporated Milk
- 1 Unbaked Pie Crust Frozen or from scratch. The Dough Boy made mine.
- Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in small bowl.
- Beat eggs in large bowl.
- Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture.
- Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
- Pour into pie pan.
- Bake in preheated 425°° oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350° and bake for 40 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 2 hours.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate