Are you looking for a simple and easy to make cake this summer? A cake that can be topped with delicious fruit. Hot Milk Cake is the perfect cake to pair with fruit and almost any topping. This delicious, light, not overly sweet cake will be especially good in summer topped with strawberries, blueberries, peaches and many other summer fruits. Say hello to your new favorite summer dessert.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.,
What is hot milk cake
I never heard of Hot Milk Cake until I ran across this simple homemade recipe in my Grace By the Sea Good Food Cookbook (from Grace Lutheran Church By the Sea Nags Head, NC)
After making it and researching it, I learned it is a classic cake, simply and deliciously flavored with vanilla and milk. It’s made with hot or scalded milk, plenty of eggs and vanilla. The hot milk helps to give it a springy slightly crumby texture. I thought it was a great combination of an angel food cake and a pound cake.
This cake is so versatile
As well as being so easy to make and tasting amazing, this cake can be served so many different ways and at so many different occasions.
- Bake it in two layer pans and ice it for a birthday cake.
- Bake it in a 13×9, ice it and serve for family dessert.
- Bake it in a cute bundt, glaze and serve at a brunch gathering.
- Bake it in a cute bundt and serve with a variety of fruit toppings for breakfast, dessert or brunch.
- Bake it in a layer or bundt pan and drizzle it with caramel, hot fudge or any delicious sauce.
- Bake in any pan and eat it naked while it’s still warm.
Hot milk cake toppings
- Cinnamon and sugar mixture
- Broiled brown sugar and coconut topping
Hot milk cake icings
- Fudge Icing – Here’s a classic from Sugar Spun Run
- Chocolate Whipped Cream Icing from Martha Stewart
- Hot Fudge Sauce from King Arthur Flour
- Caramel Sauce from King Arthur Flour
- Caramel Icing – Instructions for the icing are with the recipe.
- Buttercream Frosting – From Grandmother’s Kitchen. Instructions for icing are with the recipe.
- Glaze Of Nearly Any Flavor – This post from The Spruce Eats has a basic vanilla glaze with all sorts of flavorful variations.
Hot milk cake ingredients
- Eggs – Use room temperature eggs if possible. Eggs help a cake hold its shape and add leavening.
- Sugar – Use white granulated sugar. This cake is not overly sweet.
- Flour – I sifted my flour to remove any lumps and make it easier to mix into the other ingredients. Unsifted flour will not cause your cake to bomb.
- Milk – I used whole milk, but this recipe or any of the recipes I saw didn’t specify what percentage fat. Milk helps provide flavor and makes for a springier cake.
- Butter – As I always beg, please use real butter. Butter helps add flavor to a cake and helps give the cake a soft and tender texture.
How to make a hot milk cake
- Preheat oven to 375
- Grease and flour you pan or pans.
- Sift your flour
- Combine your eggs, sugar, vanilla and flour and set aside.
- Heat milk and butter until butter melts.
- Pour milk/butter mixture over baking powder and let this work for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Incorporate milk/butter mixture into egg mixture.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake until a toothpick or knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Cool the cake 10 to 15 minutes in the pan before removing.
How to freeze hot milk cake
You can freeze hot milk cake, just don’t top it before you freeze it. To freeze the cake or a portion of the cake:
- Cool the cake completely
- Wrap the cake 2 or 3 times in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. I usually use just aluminum foil.
- Put in large freezer storage bag. I skip this sometimes and just freeze in foil.
To freeze in slices:
- You can wrap your slices individually in plastic wrap and aluminum foil or only aluminum foil. Then place them in a freezer storage bag or container.
- You can also slice the cake and put slices of parchment paper between the slices. Then wrap the sliced cake just like wrapping the whole cake or portion of the cake above.
If you like this you might also like
- Simple Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Easy Pound Cake
- Lemon Cream Loaf Cake
- Simple Yellow Sponge Cake
- Old Fashioned Whipping Cream Pound Cake
Hot Milk Cake Recipe
- Tube, Bundt Pan or (2) 8 inch Layer Pans
- 4 Eggs Room Temperature
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour Sifted
- 1 cup Milk
- ½ cup Butter 1 Stick
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Grease and flour Tube, bundt or (2) 8 inch layer pans
- Beat 4 eggs, one at a time.
- Add 2 cups sugar, one at a time.
- Add 1 tsp vanilla
- Add 2 cups sifted flour and incorporate.
- Heat 1 cup milk with 1 stick of butter.
- Once hot and butter is melted, pour over 2 tsp baking powder.
- Let this work 1 to 2 minutes and add to sugar/egg mixture.
- Pour batter into greased pan.
- Bake 45 minutes if using tube or bundt panBake 25 – 30 minutes for layer pans
- Stick a sharp knife or tooth pick in to see if done. If it comes out clean or with a few crumbs, it's done. If there's batter on the knife or tooth pick, it's back in the oven.
- Cool 10 to 15 minutes and release for pan.
USEFUL TOOLS For MAKING THIS RECIPE
Nordic Ware Bundt Pan
Kitchen Aid Classic Stand Mixer
Pouring Shield for Kitchen Aid Mixer
Nordic Ware Tube Pan
Cake Cooling and Serving Grid
Long Baking Spatula
Nordic Ware 8×8 Square Baking Pan