simply deLIZious baking is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a way for websites to earn advertising revenues by advertising and linking to [Amazon.com or .ca, .co.uk, etc.]
Easy step by step instructions on how to freeze a whole pound cake or pound cake slices.
We pound cake aficionados know pound cakes are a large, dense cake. Because of this, there are often leftovers. So, instead of throwing those pound cake leftovers out or consuming them all yourself (I have no experience with this. Heard about it from a friend), freeze them. Yes, store those pounds in the freezer instead of your hips and thighs.
Can You Freeze Pound Cake?
YES! Pound cake freezes very well. In fact, I believe pound cake tastes better after serving some freezer time.
Pound cakes are a great cake to bake ahead of time, freeze and thaw a day before needed. My mom often keeps a spare, “just in case” pound cake in the freezer.
How Long Can You Freeze Pound Cake?
You can freeze pound cake between 4 to 6 months and it will retain its delicious taste. It can be frozen over 6 months, but you might sacrifice some taste.
How To Freeze A Whole Pound Cake (Or More Than A Large Slice)
- Make sure the cake is completely cooled.
- With plastic wrap, wrap the cake 2 or 3 times. Verify all of the cake is covered.
[amazon box=”B07CSDBRVZ,B00CQAHOCO,B00JHOZDFC” grid=”3″]
- Wrap 2 or 3 times with aluminum foil. Make certain all the cake is covered.
- Put in a large freezer storage bag or container. If you don’t have one large enough, freeze the cake, wrapped well, in plastic wrap and aluminum foil.
- Place whole cake or leftover cake in freezer.
How To Freeze Pound Cake Slices
- Wrap your slices individually in plastic wrap. Making sure the whole slice is covered.
- Then wrap the slice in aluminum foil. Making sure the whole slice is covered.
- Place slices in freezer storage bag or container.
- Place in freezer
Tips On How To Freeze Leftover Cake
- Make sure your cake is cool before you start to wrap to it.
- Cakes can absorb other smells from the freezer, so try not to place it in a smelly freezer. (Yum, a fish flavored pound cake.)
- Refrigerating cakes can dry them out. It’s better to let them cool on the counter.
- Thaw your cakes while they’re still wrapped. This way condensation will not form on the cake, but the wrapping.
Final Thoughts On How To Freeze Pound Cake (Properly)
Whether freezing a whole cake pound cake , a portion of a pound cake or pound cake slices it’s important to do it properly. You can get a lot of smiles, servings and calories from a pound cake frozen correctly.
Remember pound cake tastes even better after serving some time in the freezer.
In case you have any queries regarding the recipe feel free to reach out via the comment section or the contact page. Also, if you have tried this recipe, I would love to hear about your experiences.
I have linked to our related recipes below and I’m sure you will love them.