simply deLIZious baking is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a way for websites to earn advertising revenues by advertising and linking to [Amazon.com or .ca, .co.uk, etc.]
These classic lemon bars are a buttery shortbread crust topped with tangy lemon curd. They are super easy to make and bursting with vibrant lemon flavor.
These scrumptious lemon curd bars are the lemon curd squares recipe from Joy Of Cooking. For years I have made these scrumptious lemon curd squares and just love their tangy, zesty flavor. Now I’d like to share this easy, classic lemon curd bar recipe with you. I know you’ll love it.
Equipment Used In Simple Lemon Bars
Ingredients In Lemon Curd Bar Recipe
- All purpose flour – It is best to sift your flour to get rid of any lumps.
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Melted butter – Use real butter. Real butter has a much richer flavor than margarine and you want that rich flavor for this crust.
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Slightly beaten eggs
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice – You can use bottled if you don’t have fresh squeezed. However, fresh lemon juice adds a stronger flavor.
- grated lemon peel
How To Make Easy Lemon Squares
- Prepare the crust – combine your flour, confectioner’s sugar and melted butter and press into an 8×8 pan.
- Bake the crust for 20 minutes at 350F.
- Prepare the filling – while the crust is baking combine the rest of your ingredients.
- Pour the filling over the warm crust and bake for 25 minutes at 350F.
- Remove from oven and chill. I usually let mine cool at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes and move them to the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if you like.
Easy Lemon Bars For A Crowd
Besides the amazing zesty flavor of these lemon curd bars, I love how easy they are to whip up and how they can be served practically anywhere.
This lemon curd bar recipe has just 8 simple ingredients. You can make these with 2 medium mixing bowls and no mixer. Yes, I said no mixer. Make your crust, put your filling on top and bake. Easy, Peasy
After you whip these quick, easy lemon bars, you can serve everywhere. They are small and dainty, so they are just perfect for bridal showers, baby showers or teas. But, they are also excellent for potlucks, picnics and cookouts.
Warning, these are not the sexiest looking dessert bars. In all my years of making them I have never thought, “these are gorgeous.” However, they have a ton of inner beauty with there outstanding, vibrant flavor. So, don’t judge this dessert bar its cover.
Why Are There Bubbles In My Lemon Bars
Are there air bubbles on the top of your lemon bars? That’s ok. It’s normal. According to Sally’s Baking Addiction, it’s the air from the eggs rising to the surface. This happens with some batches and not with others. Your lemon curd bars will taste the same and it can be covered up with a dusting of powdered sugar.
How To Freeze Lemon Bars
Lemon bars are just as delicious frozen. According to this post at diys.com here are the steps you need to follow to successfully freeze lemon bars.
- Cut into squares before freezing. It’s easier to remove one or two squares at a time, as opposed to unwrapping an uncut pan, cutting a square or two and rewrapping the pan.
- With two layers of plastic wrap, wrap each square tightly.
- Place the wrapped squares in a freezer bag
- Remove any excess air and seal the bag.
- Place in freezer.
- These need to be consumed within six months.
Why Make This Lemon Curd Bar Recipe
These lemon curd squares from Joy Of Cooking are a zesty and tangy success every time. You will love how easy they are to whip up and how you can serve them practically anywhere. They are a delicious treat whenever and wherever they’re served.
In case you have any queries regarding the recipe feel free to reach out via the comment section or the contact page. Also, if you have tried this recipe, I would love to hear about your experiences.
I have linked to our related recipes below and I’m sure you will love them.
More Quick Dessert Bar Recipes
- Nuttiest Chocolate Nut Bars
- No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars
- Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Bars (Nutty & Chocolaty)
- Tangy Apricot Coconut Balls
Lemon Curd Bars With Shortbread Crust
Lemon Curd Bars With Shortbread Crust
- 1 cup sifted all purpose flour
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 slightly beaten eggs
- 2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice you can use bottled if you don't have fresh squeezed.
- 2 tsp grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Sift together all purpose flour and confectioners' sugar1 cup sifted all purpose flour, ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- Add and combine melted butter½ cup melted butter
- Press mixture into a greased 8×8 inch baking pan and bake for 20 minutes at 350°.
- While crust is baking, combine sugar, baking powder, eggs, lemon juice and grated lemon peel.1 cup sugar, ½ tsp baking powder, 2 slightly beaten eggs, 2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice, 2 tsp grated lemon peel
- Pour these ingredients over the baked warm crust and bake for 25 minutes at 350°.
- Chill before serving.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar (optional).