simply deLIZious baking is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a way for websites to earn advertising revenues by advertising and linking to [Amazon.com or .ca, .co.uk, etc.]
Easy, moist, fresh apple cake recipe that’s chocked full of chopped up apples, nuts, your favorite warm, fall spices and just the right amount of sweetness.
I was looking for a no hassle fall cake recipe and came across this easy apple cake with fresh apples in my Amish Country Cookbook. This cake was so simple to make and was full of delicious, warm fall flavors. It was the perfect pick.
Tools Used In Old Fashioned Apple Cake
Fresh Apple Cake Ingredients
- cooking oil
- eggs – room temperature
- chopped nuts – I used a combo of walnuts and pecans.
- apples – chopped and peeled
- flour – all purpose
- baking soda
- chopped nuts
Fall Amish Apple Cake
As I said above, I was looking for an easy fall cake recipe when I found this in my Amish Country Cookbook. Even before I baked it, I thought this is just so right. I mean, it’s apples and Amish and that equals autumn, at least to me.
Can’t you just picture the Amish ladies on a crisp fall afternoon, with leaves falling through the window in the background, making a simple apple cake with fresh apples. Of course, they picked the apples themselves.
I can then imagine them serving this vintage fresh apple cake recipe to their family for dessert or to neighbors or friends, with coffee of course, as they drop by for a visit.
After I made this apple cake with nuts and fresh apples, tasted it and shared it with my family and neighbors, I knew why the Amish made this cake and included it in their cookbooks.
Friends, this is not just a FALL-bulous cake, it is a great any time of year cake. Many thanks to our Amish friends for sharing this recipe.
The Best Fresh Apple Cake
This cinnamon apple cake is such an easy apple cake recipe and it just screams autumn goodness. The cake is loaded with diced apples and nuts. It’s fall spice flavor comes from nutmeg and cinnamon. These two flavors are then perfectly balanced with just the right amount of sweetness.
One Bowl Apple Cake
Not only is this APPLE-solutely a hardcore, yummy fall apple dessert, it is so, so easy to make. Yes, you can do it in one bowl. You can literally throw all the ingredients in one bowl, mix and bake. Isn’t that so aPEELING?
Best Apples For Apple Cake
When baking with apples you want an apple that is firm and will not get mushy while in the oven. In this post, Bon Appetit acknowledges Granny Smith apples as the go to for baking, but list these 6 apples as also great for baking:
- Jonagold – Hold up well in the oven and provide a honeyed sweetness. Use these in the early fall at their peak.
- Honeycrisp – A crisp texture that holds firm in the oven.
- Braeburn – Super crisp apple that bakes up juicy, but not mushy. Has a delicious concentrated flavor.
- Mutsu – Keeps a solid firmness in the oven. A less tart apple, that is similar in taste to a Golden Delicious.
- Winesap – Has a floral, sweet tangy flavor and resist breaking down during cooking.
- Pink Lady – A good balance between sweet and tart. Their flesh will soften when baked, but will not become overly mushy.
Can You Freeze Apple Cake
You can also place it in a wrap it in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in a Ziploc freezer bag or a freezer storage container. I used a Ziploc freezer container and it was still delicious when we got it out.
Final Thoughts On This Simple Fresh Apple Cake
Let’s give this easy cinnamon apple cake a round of apple-ause. It is such an easy, one bowl recipe. Plus, it has outstanding fall spiced flavors that balance perfectly with the cake’s sweetness, chopped apples and nuts.
This cake not only deserves apple-ause, it deserves a place in your fall recipe lineup.
In case you have any queries regarding the recipe feel free to reach out via the comment section or the contact page. Also, if you have tried this recipe, I would love to hear about your experiences.
I have linked to our related recipes below and I’m sure you will love them.
More Easy Fall Dessert Recipes
- Bourbon Pecan Pound Cake
- Crunchy Top Apple Cake
- Fall-tastic Apple Pound Cake (Cinnamon Glaze)
- Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake
- Spicy Pumpkin Spice Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pump-tastic Spice Cupcakes (With Chocolate Ganache)
- Blackberry Spice Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
Old Fashioned Fresh Apple Cake Recipe
Ingredients In Apple Cake
- 1¼ cups oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 3 cups chopped apples peeled
- 3 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
Ingredients In Apple Cake Topping
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped nuts
Fresh Apple Cake Instructions
- Combine oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla and mix.
- Stir in nuts and peeled chopped apples.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg and add to other ingredients.
- Place batter in a 9×13 pan
- Spoon topping on top of unbaked cake
- Bake at 350° for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Cool or eat warm
Instructions For Nutty Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- Combine sugar, cinnamon and nuts in a small bowl.
- Spoon over top of unbaked batter that has been placed in a 13×9 pan.