simply deLIZious baking is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a way for websites to earn advertising revenues by advertising and linking to [Amazon.com or .ca, .co.uk, etc.]
Easy whoopie pie recipe loaded with yummy pumpkin and your favorite fall spices.
My mom found this recipe for pumpkin whoopie pies in our home town newspaper (The Huntsville Times) several years ago and I have made them many times. These whoopie pies are just bursting with amazing pumpkin spice flavor and are always a hit wherever they’re served.
Amish Whoopie Pies
I first became aware of whoopie pies several years ago when a friend of mine, who’s dad was Amish as a child, made them for us. They were quite delightful, fun and delicious. She explained that whoopie pies originated with the Amish and have been a staple in Amish cuisine for generations.
In researching whoopie pies for this post, I found out whoopie pies didn’t just originate with the Amish, but they have “Amish” tattooed all over them. According to this post by Discover Lancaster, it’s believed whoopie pies were first made from leftover cake batter and when Amish children and farmers would find this yummy treat in their lunch pails, they’d yell out “whoopie”. Since then whoopie pie recipes have been handed down for years in Amish home kitchens and bakeries from generation to generation.
Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies
So, now that I’ve told you how “Amish” whoopie pies are, let me tell you just how pumpkin spicy and delicious these pumpkin whoopie pies are.
This whoopie pie is two soft pumpkin spice cake cookies with rich cream cheese filling in the middle. The pumpkin spice cookies, flavored with cinnamon and nutmeg, are erupting with amazing fall, pumpkin flavor and the cream cheese filling is so divinely creamy.
These are just a great fall treat, that are flat out fun. Serve them as a dessert for dinner or wrap them individually in plastic wrap and hand them out to friends or sell them at fall bake sales. You’ll love how simple they are to make, how they taste and what you can do with them.
Key Ingredients in Easy Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- Butter – Use real butter, nothing tainted, like margarine. Try to use unsalted, if possible, and room temperature (it makes mixing so much easier)
- Sugar – Regular white sugar, nothing special.
- Pumpkin puree – I used canned pumpkin puree.
- All purpose flour – I sifted mine to make sure I got rid of any larger particles. This Norpro hand crank sifter does a great job of getting all the lumps out.
- Nutmeg – This is optional, but I love the deep fall flavor it adds.
- Cream Cheese – I use full fat cream cheese, as I prefer its taste and texture. Needs to be room temperature.
- Butter – Use real butter at room temperature.
- Powdered sugar – Preferably sifted to get rid of larger particles.
Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
This recipe makes 12 standard whoopie pies. However, I like to reduce the size of each pie by half and make mini whoopie pies. I find these great to put in small bags and tie with a colored ribbon. These make a great little gift or party favor.
The Difference Between A Moon Pie & Whoopie Pie
Now for a dose of really random knowledge.
I knew there was a difference in Moon Pies and Whoopie Pies, but never really thought about it until I was researching this post. That’s when I ran across this post from “Mashed” titled The Real Difference Between Moon Pies and Whoopie Pies.
According to this post, a Moon Pie is two soft round graham crackers enrobed in a thin layer of chocolate. These chocolate covered graham crackers then have a thick layer of marshmallow filling in the middle of them.
Like a Moon Pie a whoopie pie is round, but it is often larger and softer than a Moon Pie. A whoopie pie is made with 2 soft, cake like cookies sandwiching a thick layer of marshmallow filling or other type of cream filling.
Final Thoughts On Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies
These are a fun and delicious treat. The soft, fall spiced cookies pair perfectly with the creamy, tangy cream cheese filling. Whether you serve them for dessert, sale them at fall bake sales or hand them out as gifts, you can’t beat this yummy autumn treat.
More Delicious Autumn Treats
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Quick Bread
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- Sweet Potato Quick Bread (With Chocolate Chips)
- Vintage Spice Cake
- Easy Pumpkin Pecan Pie
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies With Cream Cheese Filling
- Cookie Sheets
- Long Spatula
- Cookie or Ice Cream Scoop (optional)
Ingredients In Soft Pumpkin Spice Cookie
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon I used 2
- ½ tsp nutmeg optional
- ½ tsp salt
Instructions For Soft Pumpkin Spice Cookie
- cream butter and sugar until smooth (about 2 minutes)
- stir in pumpkin puree
- add egg and vanilla and stir until completely incorporated
- Sift all dry ingredients together
- add to mixture a little at a time and don't overmix.
- let the dough chill for 30 minutes
- preheat over to 375°
- using a tablespoon, cookie scoop or ice cream scoop, pack dough into scoop
- plop dough onto parchment -lined tray
- bake 10 – 12 minutes
- let cookies cool completely
Instructions For Easy Cream Cheese Filling
- blend cream cheese and butter well
- sift in powdered sugar and mix in until smooth
- add vanilla
To Assemble Easy Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies
- spread or scoop 1/12 of filling onto cookie bottom and sandwich with the other
- repeat with remaining cookies and filling