simply deLIZious baking is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a way for websites to earn advertising revenues by advertising and linking to [Amazon.com or .ca, .co.uk, etc.]
This homemade apple cake is an easy vanilla butter cake topped with buttery caramelized apples. It’s an amazing flavor combo that is perfect for fall.
I got this caramel apple cake recipe from a magazine (yes, a real physical magazine with pages) sent to me by Kroger. I usually just grab the coupons inside the magazine and throw the magazine away. However, this time I scrolled through the recipes and came upon this a-peeling caramel apple cake.
Yes, this simple vanilla butter cake topped with salted caramel apple topping was apple-solutely hardcore delicious. I found it so intoxicatingly delicious that I ate….. Well, I’m embarrassed to say how much I inhaled. Let’s just say there was some intense exercise for several days after.
I really hope you’ll give this caramel apple topped cake a bake this fall and I hope you enjoy every caramel apple topped calorie as much as I did.
Tools Used In This Apple Topped Cake
Ingredients For Apple Cake
- butter – softened – helps ingredients combine easier and creates and evenly textured batter.
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- half and half
- apples – peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- unsalted butter
- brown sugar
- salt – I used sea salt for the topping
Salted Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
I have never made an upside down cake of any kind, but after reading the recipe and Googling “what is an upside down cake”, I knew this was really a salted caramel apple upside down cake.
Yes, you start by cooking the apples in butter, brown sugar and salt. This creates a divine salted caramel apple topping, which is then loaded in the bottom of a 10 inch layer pan.
Next you make the batter for a lovely vanilla butter cake, which you pour on top of your caramel apple topping. After baking you then invert the cake and your salted caramel apple topping is now actually on top.
Amazing Apple Cake
And friends WOW, no matter what you call this cake, a “salted caramel apple cake” or a “salted caramel apple upside down cake”, bottom line, it is just amazingly delicious.
The salted caramel apple top/bottom is pure salted caramel heaven. It is almost toffee like and makes a magical melody with the apple and vanilla butter cake.
Yes, this homemade caramel apple cake definitely has Fall written all over it, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to resist it the rest of the year.
Fabulous Fall Brunch Idea
This would be quite delicious for a fall brunch. It’s a cute little small 10 inch round cake and, with a lovely apple presentation on top, it would be very stunning on your fall brunch table. You would be the apple of all your guest’s eyes.
Best Apples For This Small Apple Cake
I used Granny Smith Apples for my cake. It turned out so good with the Granny Smith’s, that I ended up having several days of intense exercise after, due to inhaling so much cake.
Sally from Sally’s Baking Addiction has a post with a similar apple cake. She says to use your favorite variety of apples, but she typically uses Granny Smith, Fuji or Honey Crisp for her caramel apple cake.
Why Make This Caramel Apple Topped Cake
I am in love with this cake. The vanilla butter cake is just paired perfectly with the salted caramel apple topping. The combination is magical and just right for fall. However, you might like it so much, that you’ll make this recipe all year.
In case you have any queries regarding the recipe feel free to reach out via the comment section or the contact page. Also, if you have tried this recipe, I would love to hear about your experiences.
I have linked to our related recipes below and I’m sure you will love them.
More Fall Apple Desserts
- Autumn-tomic Fresh Apple Cake
- Crunchy Top Apple Cake
- One Fine Apple Crisp
- Apple-solutely The Best Apple Cobbler
- Cinnamonly, Cinnamon Apple Nut Cake
- Autumn Apple Pound Cake With Cinnamon Glaze
Salted Caramel Apple Cake
Salted Caramel Apple Cake
- peeler to peel the apples
- apple corer
Vanilla Butter Cake Recipe Ingredients
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup half and half
Salted Caramel Apple Topping
- 3 – 4 apples , peeled, cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt I used sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line the bottom of a 10 inch round pan with parchment paper and coat the parchment paper and pan with baking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook apples, 4 tablespoons of butter, brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt until apples begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer apples and sauce to cake pan and arrange apples in desired pattern.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, mix ½ cup butter and sugar until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and half and half and mix until combined.
- Spread batter evenly over apples.
- Bake 40 – 45 minutes
- Cool 10 minutes and invert onto serving dish