simply deLIZious baking is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a way for websites to earn advertising revenues by advertising and linking to [Amazon.com or .ca, .co.uk, etc.]
This scrumptious, moist blackberry cake is full of juicy blackberries and topped with a thick and creamy cream cheese frosting.
My good friend recently gave me one of her mom’s old cookbooks. I saw this blackberry cake in the cookbook and gave it a bake. It literally took 8 to 10 minutes to prepare and it was in the oven. I then topped it with tangy cream cheese frosting. What a wonderful treat with a delicious flavor. I hope you will love this as much as me and my friends and neighbors did.
Table of Contents
Summer Blackberry Spice Cake
I always think of blackberries as a summer fruit, since they are in season from July – August. My dad had a July birthday and my mom would always make him a blackberry cobbler with fresh blackberries.
So, when I was looking over this recipe and noticed the allspice and cloves, I thought that was a little odd. Those are fall spices. Why are they being used to flavor a summer blackberry cake?
However, I love those spices no matter what season, so I decided to roll with the recipe and give it a bake. Friends, this cake turned out amazing. It is really an easy spice cake with blackberries.
The cinnamon, allspice and cloves give the cake a warm, toasty fall flavor, but the blackberries give the cake a refreshing summer kick. These flavors and fruits blend together for a perfectly flavored cake that is only made better with the cream cheese frosting on top.
Since this cake has both warm, toasty fall flavors and summer fruit you can break it out all year long. It doesn’t have to be put in storage after summer comes to an end.
Tools Used In Simple Blackberry Cake
- 9×13 baking pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Hand mixer
- Dry Measuring Cups
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Kitchen Timer
- Cooling Rack
Ingredients In Old Fashioned Blackberry Cake
- cooking oil
- all purpose flour
- baking soda
- cream cheese
- powdered sugar
Let’s Make This Easy Blackberry Cake
- Combine oil and sugar.
- Add eggs and mix.
- Add dry ingredients and mix.
- Fold in blackberries.
- Pour batter in a greased and floured 9×13 pan and bake at 350F for 40 minutes.
- Let cake cool.
- While the cake is cooling, make the cream cheese frosting by combining the cream cheese and butter and mixing well.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and combine until smooth.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled cake.
Baking Tips For The Best Blackberry Cake Recipe
- You can use fresh or frozen blackberries.
- Toss the blackberries in a tablespoon of flour before folding them in the batter. This will keep them from sinking to the bottom of the cake while baking.
- Use room temperature cream cheese and butter for the frosting. This will cause them to combine so much easier without any lumps.
- Make sure your cake is cool before you ice it. I put mine in the fridge to help it cool quicker.
Should You Refrigerate Cream Cheese Frosting
This delicious, easy blackberry cake is topped with a rich, simple cream cheese frosting. Because of this, it will need to be refrigerated.
Cream cheese frosting is prone to spoiling. So, according to this post by Food Network, you need to refrigerate any cake or cupcake that has cream cheese frosting.
However, since cream cheese frosting can last two hours at room temperature, you don’t have to serve a cold cake. Remove the cake from the refrigerator an hour or two before serving, so it can come to room temperature.
Why Make This Scrumptiously Easy Blackberry Cake
You make it, because it is a super scrumptious cake and such a quick and easy blackberry dessert. Plus, since there are both summer fruit and fall spices in this delicious 9×13 cake, it can be served all year long.
In case you have any queries regarding the recipe feel free to reach out via the comment section or the contact page. Also, if you have tried this recipe, I would love to hear about your experiences.
I have linked to our related recipes below and I’m sure you will love them.
More Easy 9×13 Cake Recipes
- Peachy Sour Cream Peach Cake
- Blueberry Spice Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
- Apple Nut Cake (Apple Cinnamon Sensation)
- Old Fashioned Apple Cake
- Pumpkin Applesauce Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
Easy Blackberry Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
Easy Blackberry Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients In Blackberry Cake Recipe
Instructions For Blackberry Cake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Sift together flour, soda, allspice, cinnamon and cloves.3 cups all purpose flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp allspice, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp cloves
- Combine cooking oil and sugar until sugar dissolves.1 cup cooking oil, 2 cups sugar
- Beat in eggs3 eggs
- Add dry ingredients and mix
- Fold blackberries in batter.2 cups blackberries
- Pour batter in greased and floured 9×13 baking pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 350°
- Remove from oven and let cake cool.
- Ice cake with cream cheese frosting.
Instructions For Simple Cream Cheese Frosting
- Combine cream cheese and butter until smooth.8 ounces cream cheese, ½ cup butter
- Add powdered sugar and mix until smooth1½ cups powdered sugar
- Add vanilla and mix2 tsp vanilla
- If needed add milk a tablespoon at a time.
- Spread over blackberry cake.